Annual awards to support undergraduate research in the Department of Microbiology and Immunology include:
- NSERC Undergraduate Student Research Awards (USRAs)
- Science Undergraduate Research Experience (SURE) Awards
- Work-Learn International Undergraduate Research Awards
USRAs and SURE awards provide a stipend of at least $7,571.20 for 16-weeks of full-time work in the summer, for independent research in microbiology and immunology under the supervision of a UBC faculty member. WLIURAs provide $7,874.05 (inclusive of 4% vacation pay) for 16-weeks of full-time work in the summer, for independent research in microbiology and immunology under the supervision of a UBC faculty member.
Students in the past have benefited from these programs by gaining hands-on research experience as well as the opportunity to interact with our students, staff, and faculty members.
- NSERC USRAs are available to Canadian citizens and permanent residents pursuing undergraduate studies. Details regarding eligibility and frequently asked questions can be found on the NSERC website (www.nserc.ca). Please note that no student may hold more than 3 USRAs in a lifetime.
- SURE Awards are available to all students registered at UBC-V as BSc students.
- Work-Learn International Undergraduate Research Awards are dedicated to international undergraduate students as they are not eligible for NSERC USRAs. Students must be UBC-V BSc students on a study permit.
- Applicants should be in very good academic standing (grade point average over ~ 80%).
Labs holding NSERC USRA summer studentships in 2019
- Dr. Ninan Abraham - (position has been filled)
- Dr. Mike Gold - (position has been filled)
- Dr. Michael Murphy - (position has been filled)
- Dr. Lindsay Eltis - (position remains open)
- Dr. Jim Kronstad - (position has been filled)
- Dr. Lisa Osborne
Labs holding SURE award summer studentships in 2019
- Dr. Ken Harder
- Dr. Steven Hallam - (position has been filled)
- Dr. Tom Beatty - (position has been filled)
- Dr. Martin Hirst
- Dr. Robert Hancock
- Dr. William Mohn
Labs holding Work-Learn International Studentship Awards in 2019
- Eligible students should enquire with M&I professors about possible openings
How to Apply
Contact individual professors to apply.
- Your email should briefly outline your academic background (including your major and previous lab experience), your availability for 16-weeks of full-time employment, your eligibility for awards described above, and your interest(s) in the faculty member’s research.
- Visit the Department of Microbiology and Immunology webpage for information about ongoing research in our department: www.microbiology.ubc.ca
Please feel free to contact:
Dr. David Oliver
Instructor and Undergraduate Studentship Coordinator