Research Associate Position / The Department of Microbiology & Immunology at UBC
The Department of Microbiology & Immunology is seeking a highly qualified and motivated full time Research Associate to start on September 1, 2018 under the supervision of Dr. Robert (Bob) Hancock.
This position is fully grant-funded and will primarily consist of research and writing up data for submission to research journals, as well as training other lab members in methods used. The research projects include immunomodulatory effects of Host Defense Peptides (HDPs), peptide arrays, peptide design, screening peptides for improved/novel activities, screening peptides for anti-biofilm activity and peptide formulation for use in animal models and toxicity testing.
Qualifications and experience: Ph.D. in biochemistry, microbiology or related field and a minimum of 4 years of postdoctoral research experience. Track record of publishing in top-level, peer-reviewed journals.
Additional experience required:
- Strong publication record in established research journals
- Effective and proven written and oral communication skills
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Ability to simultaneously manage a diverse range of complex projects and activities
- Experience in project monitoring and evaluation with the ability to manage multiple priorities and meet deadlines
- Experience supervising undergraduate and graduate students
- Ability to work independently and take initiative to solve problems
- Functional knowledge in at least one area of scientific expertise (microbiology, biochemistry, immunology or related field)
- Demonstrated proficiency of MS Office applications
- Experience with peptides is essential
- Experience with biofilms, flow cell experiments and confocal microscopy is an asset
- Experience with formulation and drug delivery methods is an asset
Equity and diversity are essential to academic excellence. An open and diverse community fosters the inclusion of voices that have been underrepresented or discouraged. We encourage applications from members of groups that have been marginalized on any grounds enumerated under the BC Human Rights Code including sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, racialization, disability, political belief, religion, marital or family status, age, and/or status as a First Nation, Metis, Inuit or Indigenous person. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority.
To Apply: Submit a CV, a short (one-two-page) description of research interests and experience, and contact information for at least two references by e-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org and please include the job number RA092018 in the subject line.
Deadline for applications is Monday August 27, 2018.